- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈkɑːtən/, /ˈkɑːtn̩/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈkɑɹtn̩/, [ˈkʰɑɹʔn̩]
- Rhymes: -ɑː(ɹ)tən
- An inexpensive, disposable box-like container fashioned from either paper, paper with wax-covering (wax paper), or other lightweight material.
- A pack of cigarettes, usually ten, wrapped in cellophane or packed in a light cardboard box.
- Synonym: pack
- (Australia) A cardboard box that holds (usually 24) beer bottles or cans.
- Synonym: case
- 2009 October 19, Oliver O'Connell, in "Message From Mr Yunupingu" 
- Mr Yunupingu was referred to the clinic where I was working at that time, Northside Clinic, for treatment of his alcohol problem. I think he described drinking between one and four cartons every single day - it's quite a phenomenal amount.
- (archaic) A kind of thin pasteboard.
- (archaic) A small disc within the bullseye of a target.
- (archaic) A shot that strikes this disc.
a carton of cigarette packs
- To put in a carton.
carton m (plural cartons)
- “carton”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
carton n (plural cartoane)
Declension of carton