See also: Chauffeur
- (UK) IPA(key): /ʃɒˈfɜː/, /ˈʃəʊfə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ʃoʊˈfɜ˞/, /ˈʃoʊfə˞/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)
Audio (US) (file)
chauffeur (plural chauffeurs)
- A person employed to drive a private motor car or a hired car of executive or luxury class (like a limousine).
- (firefighting) The driver of a fire truck.
a person employed to drive a motor car
fire truck driver
- (both senses): driver
- (intransitive) To be, or act as, a chauffeur (driver of a motor car).
- (transitive) To transport (someone) in a motor car.
transitive: to transport someone in a motor car
- driver (person who drives a motorized vehicle, such as a car or a bus)
- Czech: šofér (borrowed)
- Dutch: chauffeur (borrowed)
- English: chauffeur (borrowed)
- Persian: شوفر (šufer) (borrowed)
- Polish: szofer (borrowed)
- Russian: шофёр (šofjór) (borrowed)
- Serbo-Croatian: шо̀фе̄р m/šòfēr (borrowed)
- Swedish: chaufför (borrowed)
- “chauffeur” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).