- (focus) Especially or primarily; above all.
- Their relationship is chiefly professional.
- This is a term chiefly used by online gamers.
- (focus) Mainly or principally; almost entirely.
- (above all): first and foremost, particularly; see also Thesaurus:above all
- (almost entirely): by and large, for the most part, largely; see also Thesaurus:mostly
especially or primarily; above all
mainly or principally, almost entirely
- of or relating to a chief
- 1890, James George Frazer, The Golden Bough, volume 2, page 261:
- The maintenance of a perpetual fire came to be associated with chiefly or royal dignity.