- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kləʊzd/
- (General American) IPA(key): /kloʊzd/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊzd
closed (not comparable)
- Sealed, made inaccessible or impassable; not open.
- A closed and locked door prevented my escape.
- 2005, Pamela J. Carter, Susan Lewsen, Lippincott's Textbook for Nursing Assistants (page 277)
- When the top sheet, blanket, and bedspread of a closed bed are turned back, or fanfolded, the closed bed becomes an open bed, or a bed ready to receive a patient or resident.
- (engineering, gas and liquid flow, of valve or damper) To be in a position preventing fluid from flowing.
- (electricity, of a switch or circuit breaker) To be in a position allowing electricity to flow.
- (of a store or business) Not operating or conducting trade.
- Not public.
- closed source a closed committee The bill is being considered by the committee in closed session.
- (topology, of a set) Having an open complement.
- (mathematics, of a set) Such that its image under the specified operation is contained in it.
- The set of integers is closed under addition: .
- (mathematics, logic, of a formula) Lacking a free variable.
- (graph theory, of a walk) Whose first and last vertices are the same, forming a closed loop.
- (phonology) Formed by closing the mouth and nose passages completely, like the consonants /t/, /d/, and /p/.
- (phonology) Having the sound cut off sharply by a following consonant, like the /ɪ/ in pin.
- (of a multi-word compound) Having component words joined together without spaces or hyphens; for example, timeslot as opposed to time slot or time-slot.
- (also phonetics (of vowels, syllables)): open
- a closed mouth catches no flies
- a closed mouth gathers no feet
- algebraically closed
- behind closed doors
- bicartesian closed category
- Cartesian closed category
- case closed
- closed adoption
- closed ball
- closed beta
- closed book
- closed campus
- closed caption
- closed captioning
- closed circuit
- closed circulatory system
- closed city
- closed compound
- closed curve
- closed cut valley
- closed door
- closed feedwater heater
- closed file
- closed form
- closed formula
- closed interval
- closed loop
- closed matte
- closed order
- closed period
- closed question
- closed season
- closed set
- closed shop
- closed syllable
- closed system
- closed time loop
- closed timelike curve
- closed town
- closed visit
- closed-circuit television
- closed-cut valley
- closed-end fund
- open-closed principle
- regular closed
- semi-closed game
- with closed doors
- with one's eyes closed
not operating or conducting trade
having an open complement
in mathematics, such that its image under the specified operation is contained in it
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked: "in mathematics"
- simple past tense and past participle of close
closed m (plural closedau)
- Alternative form of closet
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.|