- Of or pertaining to a colony.
- Of or pertaining to a period when a country or territory was a colony.
- 2013 June 8, “The new masters and commanders”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8839, page 52:
- From the ground, Colombo’s port does not look like much. Those entering it are greeted by wire fences, walls dating back to colonial times and security posts. For mariners leaving the port after lonely nights on the high seas, the delights of the B52 Night Club and Stallion Pub lie a stumble away.
- (US) Of or relating to the original Thirteen Colonies of the USA.
- (US) Of or relating to the style of architecture prevalent at about the time of the Revolution.
Of or pertaining to a colony
of or pertaining to a period when a country or territory was a colony
US: Of or relating to the original thirteen colonies of the USA
US: Of or relating to the style of architecture
colonial (plural colonials)
- A person from a country that is or was controlled by another.
- (US) A house that is built in a style reminiscent of the period of the colonization of New England.
person from a country that is or was controlled by another
US: house built in a style reminiscent of the colonial period
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- “colonial” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- (geopolitics) colonial (relating to colonies: regions ruled by another country)
- Governo colonial.
- Colonial government.
- (geopolitics) colonial; colonialistic (relating to colonialism)
- Expansão colonial.
- Colonial expansion.
- (chiefly art) colonial (relating to the period when a country was a colony)
- Arquitetura colonial.
- Colonial architecture.
- (Brazil) relating to the culture of rural immigrant settlements
- Queijo colonial.
- [Type of cheese made by German immigrants].
- (colonialistic): colonialista