- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kənˌtɛmpəˈreɪni.əs/, /ˌkɒntɛmpəˈreɪni.əs/
- (US) IPA(key): /kənˌtɛmpəˈreɪni.əs/
- Rhymes: -eɪniəs
contemporaneous (not comparable)
- Existing or created in the same period of time.
- Look in other contemporaneous works to see whether that idea was common then.
- 1973, Cheikh Anta Diop, quoted in Harun Kofi Wangara, “African Perspective on History”, in John H. Johnson (editor and publisher), Black World, Volume 23 Number 4 (February 1974), page 59:
- Then, if this script is deciphered, we will have in that respect the testimony of an African language which goes back 2,400 years, that is to say [back to a period] fairly contemporaneous with Latin and other languages of antiquity.
- Network Control Program on Wikipedia
- The Network Control Program (NCP) provided the middle layers of the protocol stack running on host computers of the ARPANET, the predecessor to the modern Internet. Although sometimes the abbreviation NCP is mistakenly expanded to Network Control Protocol, this term is not found in the contemporaneous documentation.
- 12 July 2012, Sam Adams, AV Club Ice Age: Continental Drift
- Preceded by a Simpsons short shot in 3-D—perhaps the only thing more superfluous than a fourth Ice Age movie—Ice Age: Continental Drift finds a retinue of vaguely contemporaneous animals coping with life in the post-Pangaea age.
- For events which occur at precisely the same time, simultaneous is used.