- (idiomatic) Avoidance or inadequate performance of a task or duty; the action of copping out.
- His disappearance on the day of the audition was just a cop-out.
- (idiomatic) An excuse made in order to avoid performing a task or duty; a reason offered when someone cops out.
- It was a cop-out to say he couldn't sign the petition because he sprained his wrist.
- (idiomatic) A person who cops out.
- He's always a cop-out when there's hard work to be done.
avoidance or inadequate performance of a task or duty
an excuse made in order to avoid performing a task or duty
a person who cops out
- “cop-out” in Dictionary.com Unabridged, Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–.
- “cop-out” in Microsoft's Encarta World English Dictionary, North American Edition (2007)
- “cop-out” in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster, 1996–.
- "cop-out" in the Wordsmyth Dictionary-Thesaurus (Wordsmyth, 2002)
- "cop-out" in Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary (Cambridge University Press, 2007)