crack open (third-person singular simple present cracks open, present participle cracking open, simple past and past participle cracked open)
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see crack, open.
- I cracked open the fossilised rock with a hammer.
- (informal) To open (a bottle, can, etc. of drink, especially alcoholic drink), especially in order to celebrate; also extended to other packaged items.
- Let's crack open a few beers and get the party started.
- After Christmas dinner we cracked open a box of chocolates.
- (informal) To start reading (a book).