- (transitive) To handle verbally or in some form of artistic expression; to address or discuss as a subject.
- This book deals with incest.
- (transitive) To take action with respect to (someone or something).
- The teacher knew how to deal with these lazy students.
- (transitive) To consider, as an example.
- Let us deal with the case of China.
- (transitive) To come to terms with; to overcome any difficulties presented by.
- We deal with having just a gallon of gas. Thankfully he'd dealt with such issues before, so he had all the necessary experience.
- (transitive) To be in charge of, act on, or dispose of.
- I can deal with this crew of workers.
- (transitive) To behave in a certain way towards.
- He deals fairly with his employees.
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), imprinted at London: By Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, Ezekiel 23:25:
- And I will set my ielousie against thee, and they shall deale furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine eares, and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sonnes and thy daughters, and thy residue shal be deuoured by the fire.
- (handle verbally or in some form of artistic expression): address, cover, handle, plough/plow, treat
- (take action with respect to (someone or something)): engage, handle, take on, work
- (consider, as of an example): consider, look at, take
- (come to terms with successfully): come to terms with, contend with, cope with, get by with, grapple with, make do with, make out with, manage with
- (be in charge of, act on or dispose of): care for, handle, look after, manage, take care of
- (behave in a certain way towards): interact with
handle verbally or in some form of artistic expression
take action with respect to (someone or something)
consider, as of an example
come to terms with successfully
behave in a certain way towards
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.