decoy (plural decoys)
- A person or object meant to lure somebody into danger.
- A real or fake animal used by hunters to lure game.
person or object meant to lure something to danger
animal used by hunters to lure game
- (transitive) To lead into danger by artifice; to lure into a net or snare; to entrap.
- to decoy troops into an ambush; to decoy ducks into a net
- (Can we date this quote by Goldsmith and provide title, author's full name, and other details?)
- E'en while fashion's brightest arts decoy, / The heart, distrusting, asks if this be joy.
- (intransitive) To act as, or use, a decoy. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
to act or use a decoy