See also: défense
- (Received Pronunciation, US) IPA(key): /dɪˈfɛns/
Audio (US) (file)
- (sports): (US, often) IPA(key): /ˈdiːˌfɛns/
- Rhymes: -ɛns
- The action of defending or protecting from attack, danger, or injury.
- Anything employed to oppose attack(s).
- An argument in support or justification of something.
- (government, military) Government policy or (infra)structure related to the military.
- Department of Defense
- (obsolete) A prohibition; a prohibitory ordinance.
- See also Thesaurus:defense
action of protecting from attack
anything employed to oppose attack
team sports: strategy and tactics
team sports: portion of a team
argument in support or justification of something
government policy or structure
- (Classical) IPA(key): /deːˈfen.se/, [d̪eːˈfẽːs̠ɛ]
- (Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /deˈfen.se/, [d̪ɛˈfɛnsɛ]
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of defensar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of defensar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of defensar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of defensar.