- A state of dependence; a refusal to exercise initiative.
- Frank's sullen dependency was driving his father nuts.
- Something dependent on, or subordinate to, something else:
- In the United States' governmental structure, the military is conceived as a dependency under the executive branch.
- A colony, or a territory subject to rule by an external power.
- 1899 Feb, Joseph Conrad, “The Heart of Darkness”, in Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, page 201:
- ‘I have a little theory which you Messieurs who go out there must help me to prove. This is my share in the advantages my country shall reap from the possession of such a magnificent dependency.’
- A dependence on a habit-forming substance such as a drug or alcohol.
- Synonym: addiction
- (computing) Reliance on the functionality provided by some other, external component.
- This library has dependencies on a lot of other libraries. We have to compile all of those other libraries first.
- (computing) An external component whose functionality is relied on.
- One of this library's dependencies is very finicky. It can be hard to get it to compile on some systems.
refusal to exercise initiative
something dependent or subordinate to something else
a colony or similar territory subject to rule by an external power