See also: Ellipse
ellipse (plural ellipses)
- (geometry) A closed curve, the locus of a point such that the sum of the distances from that point to two other fixed points (called the foci of the ellipse) is constant; equivalently, the conic section that is the intersection of a cone with a plane that does not intersect the base of the cone.
- oval (in non-technical use)
- (grammar) To remove from a phrase a word which is grammatically needed, but which is clearly understood without having to be stated.
- In B's response to A's question:- (A: Would you like to go out?, B: I'd love to), the words that are ellipsed are go out.
ellipse f (plural ellipses)
- “ellipse” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).