See also: Emperor
- emperour (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɛmpəɹə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɛmpəɹɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
emperor (plural emperors)
- The male monarch or ruler of an empire.
- (medieval political theory) Specifically, the ruler of the Holy Roman Empire; the world-monarch.
- The Investiture Controversy was a conflict between the Emperor and the Pope.
- A large, relatively valuable marble in children's games.
2001, Paul Webley, The economic psychology of everyday life, page 39:
- But marbles are not only used to play games: they are also traded. In this market, the value of the different kinds of marbles (oilies, emperors, etc.) is determined by local supply and demand and not by the price of the marbles […]
- An emperor is generally addressed as His Imperial Majesty.
Terms derived from emperor
ruler of an empire