See also: Emperor
- emperour (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɛmpəɹə/, /ˈɛmpɹə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɛmpəɹɚ/, /ˈɛmpɹɚ/
- (General New Zealand) IPA(key): /ˈempɘɹɘ/, /ˈempɹɘ/
Audio (US) (file)
emperor (plural emperors)
- The male monarch or ruler of an empire.
- (political theory) Specifically, the ruler of the Holy Roman Empire; the world-monarch.
- The Investiture Controversy was a conflict between the Emperor and the Pope.
- The fourth trump or major arcana card of the tarot deck.
- A large, relatively valuable marble in children's games.
- 2001, Paul Webley, The economic psychology of everyday life, page 39:
- But marbles are not only used to play games: they are also traded. In this market, the value of the different kinds of marbles (oilies, emperors, etc.) is determined by local supply and demand and not by the price of the marbles […]
- Any fish of the family Lethrinidae.
- (entomology) Any various butterflies of the subfamily Charaxinae.
- An emperor is generally addressed as His Imperial Majesty.
ruler of an empire
fourth trump or major arcana card