- æquanimity (archaic)
- The state of being calm, stable and composed, especially under stress.
- 1954, Albert Einstein, Ideas and Opinions:
- Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.
- 1779, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther:
- No doubt you are right, my best of friends, there would be far less suffering amongst mankind, if men—and God knows why they are so fashioned—did not employ their imaginations so assiduously in recalling the memory of past sorrow, instead of bearing their present lot with equanimity.
state of being calm