- To call out; to draw out or bring forth.
- To cause the manifestation of something (emotion, picture, etc.) in someone's mind or imagination.
- Being here evokes long forgotten memories.
- Seeing this happen equally evokes fear and anger in me.
- The book evokes a detailed and lively picture of what life was like in the 19th century.
- To elicit a response.
- 1960 February, R. C. Riley, “The London-Birmingham services - Past, Present and Future”, in Trains Illustrated, page 98:
- The outstanding train on the L.M.S. route was the 6.20 p.m. from Birmingham, which reached Euston in two hours after intermediate stops at Coventry, Rugby and Watford Junction, and evoked some sparkling performances from "Patriot" and "Jubilee" 4-6-0s.
to cause the manifestation of