- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɛkstəpeɪt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɛkstɚpeɪt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: ex‧tir‧pate
- (transitive, obsolete) To clear an area of roots and stumps.
- (transitive) To pull up by the roots; uproot.
- (transitive) To destroy completely; to annihilate.
- (transitive) To surgically remove.
- Synonym: excise
to pull up by the roots
to destroy completely
to surgically remove
- extirpate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- extirpate in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.