- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɛkˈstɹeɪ.ni.əs/
- (General Australian) IPA(key): /ekˈstɹæɪ.ni.əs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ɪkˈstɹeɪ.ni.əs/, /ɛkˈstɹeɪ.ni.əs/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪniəs
extraneous (not comparable)
- Not belonging to, or dependent upon, a thing; without or beyond a thing; foreign
- to separate gold from extraneous matter
- Extraneous substances were found on my cup of water.
- Not essential or intrinsic
- 1964 May, “News and Comment: Minister hamstrings BR workshops”, in Modern Railways, page 291:
- If the Government believes that part of the railways' salvation is to be found in ridding them of extraneous concerns, it should have had the courage either to close the railway works down as quickly as possible, or to hive them off as an entirely separate concern, [...].
- (not belonging to): additional, alien, foreign, intrusive; See also Thesaurus:foreign
- (not essential): superfluous, extra; See also Thesaurus:extrinsic
not belonging to, or dependent upon, a thing