- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfætbɜːɡ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfætbɝɡ/
- Hyphenation: fat‧berg
fatberg (plural fatbergs)
- A large accumulation of fat and discarded toiletries which clogs sewers. [From late 2000s]
- 2013, Russ Litten, Swear Down, London: Tindal Street Press, →ISBN:
- Bleeding big fatberg up there. About half a ton's worth. […] Gorman feels an involuntary shudder travel down his spine and agitate his stomach. He's seen those fatbergs on the training videos; huge accumulated walls of solidified grease and food and tissue and excrement, the churned result of everyday debris tipped down the domestic sinks and bathtubs and toilets of London.
- 2017 November 3, “‘Victory declared’ over 130 tonne Whitechapel fatberg”, in BBC News, archived from the original on 18 March 2018:
- A 250-metre long fatberg weighing 130 tonnes which was blocking an east London sewer has been cleared after a nine-week "battle". The solid mass of congealed fat, wet wipes, nappies, oil and condoms was found in the Victorian-era tunnel in Whitechapel in September. Thames Water said it had taken longer to clear than expected because of the damage it caused to the sewer.
large accumulation of fat, etc., which clogs sewers