See also: flash point
flashpoint (plural flashpoints)
- The lowest temperature at which a liquid can form an ignitable mixture in air near the surface of the liquid.
- (figurative) A hotspot; a dangerous place of violent political unrest
- A time and place when violence or conflict suddenly arises.
- 2017 March 14, Stuart James, “Leicester stun Sevilla to reach last eight after Kasper Schmeichel save”, in the Guardian:
- Chances came and went at both ends before the flashpoint involving Vardy and Nasri, who took an age to leave the pitch after Daniele Orsato, the Italian referee, brandished a red card.
lowest temperature at which a liquid can form an ignitable mixture — see flash point
figuratively; a hotspot — see flash point
- Joe Miller (24 January 2018) , “Davos jargon: A crime against the English language?”, in BBC News, BBC