floodgate (plural floodgates)
- An adjustable gate or valve used to control the flow of water through a sluice.
- 2012, Andrew Martin, Underground Overground: A passenger's history of the Tube, Profile Books, →ISBN, page 31:
- (by extension) Anything that controls or limits an outpouring of people, emotion etc.
- 1981 July 26, Sandra Salmans, “Will cable TV be invaded by commercials?”, in New York Times:
- “The floodgates for advertising on cable are down,” says Michael Dann, a leading consultant on cable television.
gate or valve
anything that controls or limits an outpouring