- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfɔːɹmɪdəbəl/, IPA(key): /fɔːɹˈmɪdəbəl/
- (UK) IPA(key): /fəˈmɪdəbəl/
Audio (US) (file)
- Causing fear, dread, awe, or discouragement as a result of size, strength, or some other impressive feature; commanding respect; causing wonder or astonishment.
- Difficult to defeat or overcome.
2012 May 9, John Percy, “Birmingham City 2 Blackpool 2 (2-3 on agg): match report”, in the Telegraph:
- Holloway has unfinished business in the Premier League after relegation last year and he will make a swift return if he can overcome West Ham a week on Saturday. Sam Allardyce, the West Ham manager, will be acutely aware that when the stakes are high, Blackpool are simply formidable.
causing fear, dread, awe or admiration as a result of size, strength, or some other impressive quality
difficult to defeat or overcome
formidable (plural formidables)
- “formidable” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).