gamin (plural gamins)
- A street urchin; a homeless boy.
- 1854, Alexis [Benoît] Soyer, A Shilling Cookery for the People: Embracing an Entirely New System of Plain Cookery and Domestic Economy, London, New York, N.Y.: George Routledge & Co., OCLC 76167054, page 125:
- Dearest Eloise,— There is one little and perhaps insignificant French cake, which I feel certain would soon become a favourite in the cottage, more particularly amongst its juvenile inhabitants. It is the famed galette, the melodramatic food of the gamins, galopins, mechanics, and semi-artists of France.
a street urchin; a homeless boy
- (dated) street urchin, street kid
- kid (a child, especially one who is mischievous or plays in the streets)
- “gamin” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).