- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɡɒ.sə.mə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɡɑ.sə.məɹ/
Audio (AU) (file)
- A fine film or strand as of cobwebs, floating in the air or caught on bushes, etc.
- A soft, sheer fabric.
- Anything delicate, light and flimsy.
cobwebs floating in the air
a soft, sheer fabric
anything delicate, light, flimsy
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- Tenuous, light, filmy or delicate.
- (Can we date this quote by Thomas Bailey Aldrich?)
- The heaven was spangled with tremulous stars, and at the horizon the clouds hung down in gossamer folds—God's robe trailing in the sea!
- 1922, Michael Arlen, “Ep./1/2”, in “Piracy”: A Romantic Chronicle of These Days:
- He walked. To the corner of Hamilton Place and Picadilly, and there stayed for a while, for it is a romantic station by night. The vague and careless rain looked like threads of gossamer silver passing across the light of the arc-lamps.