- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɡɹæntɪd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɡɹɑːntɪd/
Audio (US) (file)
- simple past tense and past participle of
- Given, awarded.
- He was granted a patent on his invention.
granted (not comparable)
- Used to concede a point, often before stating some contrasting information.
- He's a good student and usually does well. Granted, he did fail that one test, but I think there were good reasons for that.
- "You haven't been a very good father." "Granted."
Used to concede a point
- used to mark the premise of a syllogistic argument
- Granted that he has done nothing wrong, he should be set free.
- Granted the lack of evidence, we can make no such conclusion.
- (used to mark the premise of an argument): given
Used to mark the premise of a syllogistic argument