From Proto-Vietic *hanʔ, from Proto-Mon-Khmer *(ʔ)anʔ ~ *ʔən; cognate with Car Nicobarese an (“he, she, it”), Pacoh ân (“relative pronoun, that, which”). The /h/ appeared in the proto-Vietic stage, which is also seen in hết (“to finish”).
- (archaic as a neutral pronoun in Northern and Southern dialects, familiar or informal in Central Vietnam) he/him; she/her
- Đi kêu hắn về cho tau!
- Go get him back here!
- Tụi hắn cứ đánh chắc hoài!
- Those idiots keep fighting again and again!
- (derogatory in Northern and Southern dialects) he/him
- (informal, endearing) he/him, my boyfriend
- (informal, endearing) he/him, your boyfriend