have butterflies in one's stomach
Audio (AU) (file)
have butterflies in one's stomach (third-person singular simple present has butterflies in his/her stomach, present participle having butterflies in one's stomach, simple past and past participle had butterflies in one's stomach)
- To experience a certain “fluttery” physical sensation in the abdomen, associated with nervousness, uncertainty, or anxiety. Often associated with love.
- Kevin had butterflies in his stomach every time he saw Chrissy.
- (idiomatic) To be nervous, uncertain, or anxious.
- He had butterflies in his stomach on the morning of his wedding.
- Synonym: have the collywobbles