Possibly onomatopoeia in imitation of the sound produced by the stringed instrument.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɜː.diˌɡɜː.di/, /ˌhɜː.diˈɡɜː.di/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈhɝː.diˌɡɝː.di/, /ˌhɝː.diˈɡɝː.di/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
hurdy-gurdy (not comparable)
hurdy-gurdy (plural hurdy-gurdies)
- (music) A stringed instrument that produces a droning sound by turning a handle that connects to a wheel that rubs against a rosined string, with a keyboard also used to alter the pitch of the string.
- (music) Synonym of .
- 1956 , Johanna Spyri, Heidi, translation of original by Eileen Hall, page 83:
- He flung open the door, and found there only a ragged boy with a hurdy-gurdy on his back.
- (US, California) A water wheel with radial buckets, driven by the impact of a jet.
- wheel fiddle (the stringed instrument)
barrel organ — see barrel organ