impediment (plural impediments)
- A hindrance; that which impedes or hinders progress.
- Thus far into the bowels of the land / Have we marched on without impediment.
1818, Mary Shelley, chapter 2, Frankenstein:
- I had gazed upon the fortifications and impediments that seemed to keep human beings from entering the citadel of nature, and rashly and ignorantly I had repined.
- Working in a noisy factory left him with a slight hearing impediment.
- (chiefly in the plural) Baggage, especially that of an army; impedimenta
hindrance; that which impedes progress
- Oxford English Dictionary, second edition, 1989