Compound of kesä (“summer”) + mökki (“cottage”).
- IPA(key): /ˈkesæˌmøkːi/, [ˈke̞s̠æˌmø̞kːi]
- Rhymes: -økːi
- Syllabification: ke‧sä‧mök‧ki
- summer home; summerhouse, summer house (UK); cabin, chalet (US); camp (NY); summer cottage (house used as vacation home during the summer, often located near a body of water)
- country house (weekend and holiday residence, located outside of urban areas, used as a retreat from city life)
- vacation home (US), holiday home (UK) (building or piece of property used as a secondary residence during vacations)
- The Finnish term kesämökki is habitually translated as "summer cottage" into English. While completetely understandable, this term does not appear to be widely used in English-speaking countries.
- A "vacation home" can also refer to a condo that is used during holidays.