layman (plural laymen)
- Layperson, someone who is not an ordained cleric or member of the clergy.
- (by extension) Someone who is not a professional in a given field.
- Carmen is not a professional anthropologist, but strictly a layman.
- Let me explain it to you in layman's terms.
- A common person.
- A person who is untrained or lacks knowledge of a subject.
- A generally ignorant person.
- Lay-sister or lay-brother, person received into a convent of monks, following the vows, but not being member of the order.
someone who is not an ordained cleric
someone who is not a professional in a given field