- (transitive) To make longer, to extend the length of.
- You need to lengthen the story if you want to have it published.
- 1950 September, “Central London Railway Jubilee”, in Railway Magazine, page 622:
- The platforms of all stations from Shepherds Bush to Liverpool Street have been lengthened from 325 ft. to 427 ft. between tunnel headwalls, to take longer trains.
- (intransitive) To become longer.
- The shadows on the lawn lengthened as the sun began to set.
Derived terms edit
to make longer