- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈlɛŋ(k)θənɪŋ/, /ˈlɛŋ(k)θnɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈlɛŋ(k)θənɪŋ/
- Hyphenation: length‧en‧ing
lengthening (plural lengthenings)
- The process of making or growing longer.
- 2021 September 22, “National Rail Awards 2021: Train Lengthening”, in RAIL, number 940, page 56:
- This enabled an additional 15-20 containers to be carried per train, giving a 20% productivity gain, and was partly enabled by Network Rail completing the lengthening of loops on the route northwards from Southampton via Banbury.
- (phonology) a type of sound change when a sound (especially a vowel) lengthens
Derived terms Edit