- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈlɒtəɹi/, /ˈlɒtɹi/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈlɑtɚi/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: lot‧te‧ry
lottery (plural lotteries)
- A scheme for the distribution of prizes by lot or chance, especially a gaming scheme in which one or more tickets bearing particular numbers draw prizes, the other tickets are blanks.
- (figuratively) Something decided by chance.
- (obsolete) Allotment; a thing allotted.
scheme for the distribution of prizes by lot or chance
something decided by chance
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.