- (General American) IPA(key): /lʌmˈbeɪɡoʊ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /lʌmˈbeɪɡəʊ/
- Rhymes: -eɪɡəʊ
- (pathology) Backache of the lumbar region or lower back, which can be caused by muscle strain or a slipped disk.
- 1954, Gilbert Ryle, Dilemmas: The Tarner Lectures, 1953, dilemma vii: Perception, page 105 (The Syndics of the Cambridge University Press)
- We may imagine an athletics coach with a scientific training researching into the physiology and the psychology of runners. […] He finds out the effects of fatigue, of alcohol, of tobacco, of lumbago and of depression upon their performances.
lumbar-region backache — See also translations at : backache