From Old Swedish manger, margher, marghin, from Old Norse mangr, margr, from Proto-Germanic *managaz.
mången c, månget n, mångt n, många pl
- (singular only, dated) many a
- (plural only) many, many people
Många vill ha senap på korven.
- Many want mustard on their hot dog.
- This pronoun is also used as an adjective and noun.
- The singular of this pronoun takes the meaning "many a". It's rarely used in casual speech, except when trying to sound old-timey, and so is dated.
- Swedish dictionaries SAOB and SAOL don't connect this pronoun mången, månget, många (“many”) to the adjectives fler (“more”) and flest (“most”), even though most (non-linguist) native speakers of Swedish consider them as forms of the same adjective.