- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɑ(b).vi.əs.li/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɒ(b).vɪəs.li/
- Hyphenation: ob‧vi‧ous‧ly
Audio (US) (file)
- In a obvious or clearly apparent manner.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 8, in The China Governess:
- It was a casual sneer, obviously one of a long line. There was hatred behind it, but of a quiet, chronic type, nothing new or unduly virulent, and he was taken aback by the flicker of amazed incredulity that passed over the younger man's ravaged face.
- She was in floods of tears and obviously very upset.
- (colloquial) Used as a filler word, or to introduce information even when not obvious.
- You weren't to know, but I've spoken to, obviously, Jim about this, and ...
- (in an obvious manner): apparently, clearly, evidently, manifestly, obvi; see also Thesaurus:obviously
in an obvious manner; clearly apparent