- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɒpəɹeɪtə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɑːpəɹeɪtɚ/
- Hyphenation: op‧er‧ator
operator (plural operators)
- One who operates.
- A telecommunications facilitator whose job is to establish temporary network connections.
- (mathematics) A function or other mapping that carries variables defined on a domain into another variable or set of variables in a defined range.
- Chinese whispers.
- (informal) A person who is adept at making deals or getting results, especially one who uses questionable methods.
- A member of a military Special Operations unit.
- (computing) The administrator of a channel or network on IRC.
- (linguistics) A kind of expression that enters into an a-bar movement dependency and is said to bind a variable.
- In the sentence "What did Bill say he wants to buy?", "what" is an operator, binding a phonetically empty variable.
- surgeon (doctor who performs surgery)
This Kurdish entry was created from the translations listed at surgeon. It may be less reliable than other entries, and may be missing parts of speech or additional senses. Please also see operator in the Kurdish Wiktionary. This notice will be removed when the entry is checked. (more information) April 2008
- Russian: опера́тор (operátor)
- second-person singular future active imperative of
- third-person singular future active imperative of
opèrātor m (Cyrillic spelling опѐра̄тор)