- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌəʊ.vəˈʃæd.əʊ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌoʊ.vɚˈʃæd.oʊ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ædəʊ
- (transitive) To obscure something by casting a shadow.
- (transitive) To dominate something and make it seem insignificant.
2017 August 13, Brandon Nowalk, “Oldtown offers one last game-changing secret as Game Of Thrones goes behind enemy lines (newbies)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- It’s surely consequential that Jon has a claim to the throne, whether he knows about it or not, but all of that is overshadowed by his immediate circumstances, which are that Jon Snow is leading a raiding party beyond the Wall to kidnap a wight.
- (transitive) To shelter or protect.
- (dominate): outshadow
to cast a shadow over something
to dominate something and make it seem insignificant