- To turn over, capsize or upset (something)
- To overthrow or destroy something
- (law) To reverse a decision; to overrule or rescind
- To diminish the significance of a previous defeat by winning; to comeback from.
2011 April 10, Alistair Magowan, “Aston Villa 1 - 0 Newcastle”, in BBC Sport:
- Villa spent most of the second period probing from wide areas and had a succession of corners but despite their profligacy they will be glad to overturn the 6-0 hammering they suffered at St James' Park in August following former boss Martin O'Neill's departure
to turn over, capsize
legal: to reverse, overrule