- (General American) enPR: pərmĭ'shən, IPA(key): /pɚˈmɪʃən/
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: pərmĭ'shən, IPA(key): /pəˈmɪʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪʃən
- authorisation; consent (especially formal consent from someone in authority)
- Sire, do I have your permission to execute this traitor?
- The act of permitting.
- (computing) flags or access control lists pertaining to a file that dictate who can access it, and how.
- I used the "chmod" command to change the file's permission.
act of permitting
- (transitive) To grant or obtain authorization for.
2003, Mary Ellen Lepionka, Writing and Developing Your College Textbook, page 190:
- Photographs also must be permissioned and credited, although a corpus of copyright-free images does exist online.