Clipping of physiognomy, late 17th c.
- (obsolete, colloquial) The face.
1831 June, “The Lord Advocate on Reform”, in Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, volume 29, number 181, page 980:
- […] and whatever the feelings which now agitate our secret hearts, — you see we are resolved at least to put on a cheerful phiz, and not to die either of the dumps or the mumps, or any other of the dismals.
1952, Malamud, Bernard, The Natural:
- Flores stood in a corner with a melancholy expression on his phiz.
- 2017: "Zizou is a rock. Zizou is an island" by Michael Butler, The Guardian
- Sulley Muntari gets fresh and funky on social media disgrace Twitter after claims were made that he introduced his open palm to the phiz of a referee...