phosphate (plural phosphates)
- (chemistry) Any salt or ester of phosphoric acid.
- (US, regional, dated) A carbonated soft drink sweetened with fruit syrup and with some phosphoric acid.
- 2002, Michael Raleigh, In the castle of the Flynns, page 180:
- “This man here,” she said, “can make you a cherry Coke or a chocolate Coke or a phosphate — a chocolate phosphate or. “Vanilla phosphate,” the man helped, “cherry phosphate, orange phosphate, lime phosphate, lemon phosphate,
- 2008, Kathryn Kysar, Riding shotgun: women write about their mothers, page 106:
- You order California burgers for us both, even though I don't eat lettuce or tomato, then you order me a phosphate, cherry, a dreadful fizzy drink you say you always loved. It's bitter, bubbly, unbearable; but, thirsty for your past, force myself to drink it.
any salt or ester of phosphoric acid