See also: POODLE
From German Pudel, a shortened form of Pudelhund, a compound of Hund (“dog”) and the German Low German term Pudel, Pūdel (“puddle”), from the onomatopoeic term pudeln (“to splash about”).
poodle (plural poodles)
- A breed of dog originating in Europe as hunting dogs, and having heavy, curly coat in a solid color; their shoulder height indicates their classification as standard, medium, miniature, or toy.
- Synonym: (formal, before 20th century) Canis aviarius aquaticus
- (figuratively) A person servile towards someone whom he or she considers his or her superior.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:loyal follower
any of various breeds of poodle
- poodle on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Poodles on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
Unadapted borrowing from English poodle.
poodle m or f by sense (plural poodles)
- poodle (breed of dog with a heavy, curly fur)