Audio (US) (file)
preoccupied (comparative more preoccupied, superlative most preoccupied)
- Concerned with something else; distracted; giving one's attention elsewhere.
- I was preoccupied with a deadline at work, and I forgot his birthday.
- (taxonomy, not comparable) Describing a scientific name that was previously used, a junior homonym.
- 1931, John Allen Rowe, “A revision of the males of the nearctic species in the genus Fabriciella (Tachinidae)”, in Annals of the Entomological Society of America, volume 24:
- In 1924 J. D. Tothill revised the nearctic species in the genus Fabriciella, a name proposed by Bezzi in 1906 to replace Fabricia Rob. D. which is preoccupied.
concerned with something else, distracted
- simple past tense and past participle of preoccupy