- Indicating disapproval, scoffery, irritation, impatience or disbelief.
- Pshaw! I can't believe it!
- 1823, James Fenimore Cooper, The Pioneers, ch. 13:
- "Pshaw! Why do ye bother yourself wid texts, man, about so small a matter?" interrupted the landlady
- 1838-1839, Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby, ch. 56:
- 'Pshaw!' Ralph muttered, forcing a laugh.
- 1891, Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company, ch. xxii:
- "Have a care, cousin," he whispered; "for the sake of the Virgin have a care, for you have angered him."
- "Pshaw! fear not," the other answered in the same low tone.
- 1992, Wayne Campbell, Wayne's World:
- "Pshaw! And monkeys might fly out of my butt."
- (indicating disapproval): pht, pshh, phht, pssh, pshh, pssht, psht, pshht, feh, pooh, pish, bah, poh; see also Thesaurus:bah
- (indicating disbelief): c'mon, poppycock; see also Thesaurus:bullshit
indicating disapproval, scoffery, irritation, impatience or disbelief