- Alternative form of
- 2010, Anderson, John P., Joyce's Finnegans Wake: The Curse of Kabbalah, volume 4, page 82:
- He was sporting his inky Italian moustaches glistering with Vaseline and perfume. Puh! How uncommentable!
- (expressing contempt): feh, pht, pish, poh, pshaw; see also Thesaurus:bah
- (expressing disgust): bleah, eww, ick, uck; see also Thesaurus:yuck
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for puh in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
An onomatopoeia: the sound of rapid exhalation.
Used to express emotion beyond compare to the point of which there are no words to describe the setting.
- pooh (expression of dismissal or contempt‚ used when encountering an unpleasant smell)
- phew (used to show relief, fatigue, surprise, or disgust)
- (show disgust): ad, bvadr, føj, puha, puh ha
- (show fatigue): puha, puh ha
- (show relief): puha, puh ha, pyh
- “puh” in Duden online
puh (Raguileo spelling)
pȕh m (Cyrillic spelling пу̏х)