- to state, or explain a concept in a clear, understandable manner.
- Professor Jones is a good teacher. He knows how to put his ideas over to the students.
- (rugby) to make a decisive pass to a teammate so they can score a try.
- 2019 October 19, Robert Kitson, “England into World Cup semi-finals after bruising victory over Australia”, in The Guardian, London: Guardian News & Media:
- The first was the product of a destructive hard line down the middle by Manu Tuilagi, which sucked in the Australian defence and stretched the cover further out, allowing Farrell and Curry to put May over in the left corner.
The object can come before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must come before the particle.