rôle (plural rôles)
- Dated spelling of .
- 1955, Graham J. Brealey and Michael Kasha, The Rôle of Hydrogen Bonding in the n → π* Blue-shift Phenomenon, in Journal of the American Chemical Society, volume 77, issue 17, 4462-4468.
- 2006, Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero, Phonological change in Optimality Theory, in Keith Brown (ed.), Encyclopedia of language and linguistics [2nd edn., vol. 9], 497-505. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Thus, diachronic reductionists follow Ohala in emphasizing the rôle of the parser in phonologization and downplaying the contribution of higher principles of grammatical organization.
- 2012, Stephen MacLean, A cheer for constitutional monarchy's restraint on government, Adam Smith Institute:
- As the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations wind down, it may be well to reflect on an aspect of public choice theory which supports constitutional monarchy — principally its rôle as a brake upon self-aggrandising politicians.
- 2016, Pavel Iosad, Rule scattering and vowel length in Northern Romance, in Papers in Historical Phonology, volume 1, 218-237. Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh.
- Nevertheless, it can be argued that Loporcaro's (2015) rejection of any rôle for phonological computation in establishing the observed distribution of vowel length in Northern Romance goes too far in the other direction.
rôle m (plural rôles)