- Not occurring at a regular interval; seldom; not often. [from 16th c.]
- We rarely go to the theatre.
- Rarely do you ever find an eagle this far up the river.
- Unusually well; excellently. [from 16th c.]
- To a rare degree; very. [from 16th c.]
- others speake very honourably of his life and death, and in all other circumstances declare him to have beene a most excellent and rarely virtuous man.
- Compare We rarely ever go to the theatre. with We almost never go to the theatre.
not occurring at a regular interval